Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sardines In a Tin.

On my way to work I decided to take the Estate Shuttle bus.I was in the mood to save money instead of blowing cash on taxis.I was sitting just behind the driver with two other passengers on the same sit and in came a huge woman with a huge butt too.Obviously,the sits behind us weren't taken but this woman wanted a sit on my row and in so doing,used her butt to shove me aside.I did see red and I retorted by saying; "Hey Lady! There's more room behind,you don't have to push me.The guy sitting next to me muttered something about how people lacked common sense.This Lady knew that the space beside me couldn't take her size but she was bent on sitting there."Haba Madam" I said,"Why are you shoving me to the side? The Naira notes you are paying aren't fatter or slimmer than mine,why do you have to use my slim stature as a reason to wriggle your big butt into this seat?" "Shut up" She said." Is your father the owner of this bus?" The occupants of the shuttle bus went into a frenzy.Curses and insults were being hurled from one end of the bus to the other.It was a free for all in the bus and the driver not wanting to be left out ensued in a word combact with the passenger sitting beside him.He stopped the bus and went into a full fledged battle with his passengers and we had to beg him to take us to our destination.This is the typical Nigerian work day episode...especially in a place like Lagos.Thanks to God we alighted at the next bus stop without ramming the bus into a car. At the next bus stop I took another bus,this bus was much better at least we didn't have a mad circus in it but we were all cramped in like sardines in a tin. Sweat smells and fish stench over powered my subtle perfume.I just couldn't wait to get to my stop.This is what the poor masses in Lagos deal with on a daily basis and then when you get to work,you get dragon bosses breathing down your neck.Well, "No shaking...We will survive".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice stories,Keep them coming.